Thursday, December 10, 2009

Phoenix - (P)review

Yes, this is a preview rather than a review. I actually think I might be on to something here because I have always been frustrated by reading reviews of awesome shows/events/tastings/flash mobs after the fact. I don't want to hear how Peaches encouraged all of the women at her most recent gig to take their tops off days after all the women take their tops off! And I don't want to hear how mindboggling and rare it was to see Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle at the Pacific Cinematheque after the films have come and gone. So annoying! 

Therefore, I will begin writing previews for events that I deem unmissable.

Many people have heard of Phoenix, especially since they played on SNL last year and are now promoted by select radio stations. However, many people do not know that they will be playing at Vancouver's Orpheum as part of the 2010 Cultural Olympiad. Due to the fact that Phoenix is coming to Vancouver as part of an Olympic arts program, the concert is not being marketed in a typical fashion. Last I checked, the show was not listed on Pollstar, and tickets are not being listed on Ticketmaster. Few people that I have talked to lately know that they will be here on January 22, 2010.

This will be an outstanding and memorable show, both because of the venue and the fact that this band has just recently come into its own. I mean, I was a solid fan after It's Never Been Like That, but they are really firing on all cylinders with Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. At this point, you will have to hit-up Craigslist to find tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment